With school being out, there have been lots of trips to the playground, rides on trains and buses, but little time for much sewing. So this has been the perfect time to really take a good look at my sewing room and decide what is working and what isn't. I felt like there wasn't a good flow with the layout so it was time to make some changes. If you'll recall from this old post, here is a glimpse at what my sewing room looked like before:
It had even changed since this last photo since the table that my sewing machine was on was moved downstairs to accommodate a family computer for my son to start using. Still, it was the bookcases that weren't right. It took up too much wall space that I thought could be put to better use. I also didn't like how the closet was under-utilized with mainly just my ironing board inside.
First the bookcases were removed and some Ikea shelving was placed inside the closet for all of my fabric. Of course, with all the additional fabric being added to my stash lately I needed to buy some more magazine backing boards to fold them all up onto bolts. I really love storing my fabric with these. For any fabrics 1 yard or more I can leave the boards the full size. For quarter yard and half yard fabrcis, I cut the boards down the middle lengthwise and then wrap the fabric around them. It really makes for some nice organization and it's easy to see all of your fabrics. I still keep all of my fat quarters tri-folded and organized by color. So here is what the closet now looks like:
And thanks to my wonderful husband, he put up the narrow shelf for my thread and the Ikea pole system for all of my rulers and scissors.
Here you can see how my table works into the new layout. I'm using a half-round leaf that extends my dining room table for my sewing machine and I have a small bookcase with my pressing board on the left. That left my full size table to the right of my sewing machine for cutting fabrics and whatever else I need it for.
Here is my view of my design on the opposite wall. As you can see, my StashBee quilt blocks have been rolling in and I'm working on a few more so I can put this all together.
So there you have it - my improved sewing studio, just waiting for me.