Monday, December 01, 2014

Holiday Mayhem & A Sewing Challenge

Wow, it's been almost a month since I've posted. How did that happen? Well, I know exactly how it happened. It's called the holiday season and it's in full swing in our house. The few weeks leading up to the Thanksgiving break were filled with crafting, holiday sewing, volunteering, and easing my way into the workforce.

In the next week or so, I'll be posting some of the other projects that I've been working on but first I wanted to share with you the challenge that I've undertaken. A friend of my husband reached out to me a few weeks ago wondering if I could make a Christmas stocking. She had a special one for her daughter but couldn't seem to find one that matched for her younger son. Here's the picture that she sent me.


Basically 2 pockets and a large stocking. Should be easy, right? Famous last words. In theory it should have been pretty easy but let's be honest - it's me. But I was still up for the challenge.

My first hurdle - finding piping to match. You'd think that with it being the holidays that red and white satin twisted cording should be available somewhere. Ahh, sadly no but after 3 days of searching I was able find a suitable substitute online. I've never worked with cording before and for this particular one I learned (the hard way) that when you cut it, it starts to unravel! Oops.

Next hurdle was the lettering. It's funny really, that when I was shopping for a sewing machine when I decided to start quilting, I was convinced that I didn't want an embroidery machine because I'd never use it. Let's see, this is now the 4th project that I've done with intricate lettering. Still not sure I could justify the added cost, but it sure would make lettering a LOT easier. The letters seemed simple in the original photo. It wasn't until I received the original stocking that I saw they were done in a teeny-tiny satin stitch. It took a lot of time - almost 4 hours if you include my first failed attempt that needed to be ripped out. Here is a side-by-side comparison of the pockets.  My pockets are the ones on the left.


All I have left to do now is put the stocking together once more cording arrives which will hopefully be by this weekend so I can get it finished and shipped to the recipient. I think the hardest thing now will be to figure out what to charge. It's always hard putting a price on your time.

4 comments:

  1. It can be so hard to put a price on your time. Good luck coming up with something you are comfortable with and that compensates you for your skill! I think it is a very cute stocking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good to see you back blogging. What a challenge you undertook here and our lettering is identical you certainly persevered, shame the cording unravelled, not a nice thing to work with but a great job done and I am sure she will be delighted with it, aa you say hard to put a price on what you have done, all the hours spent but I am sure you will agree on a fair one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! That embroidery looks fiddly, and I know how that cord unravels! You have done a great job matching the old stocking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW what a great job, I actually think yours came out better. That hand stitching is just amazing :) I cannot wait to see what else you have up your selves this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from my readers. I typically respond directly to your email unless it's an answer that I think everyone would be interested in hearing. If you are a no-reply blogger (and I know that blogger doesn't play nice with other blogging platforms!), I will reply directly on my website. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...